As Virginia's fourth largest independent city, Newport News is managed by a Council-Manager form of government in which seven persons are elected to serve on City Council. The City Manager is appointed by the City Council. City Council also appoints the City Attorney and the City Clerk.
Newport News City Council meets at 7 PM on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month to take official action on matters brought before them. Meetings are held in the City Council Chambers located behind the City Hall building at 2400 Washington Avenue, unless otherwise announced. The City Council also holds work sessions on a regular basis, which are also open to the public.
For information about City Council, call the City Clerk's Office at 757-926-8634. To reach the Mayor's Office, call 757-926-8403. For city-related questions, call the Newport News 311 Call Center at 757-933-2311 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Approximately 183,00 (2014 Census)
- Newport News land area: 69.2 square miles
Newport News has temperatures that range from an average high of 46ºF and an average low of 30ºF in January to an average high of 85ºF and an average low of 71ºF in July. The average year-round high is 68ºF and the low is 51ºF. The normal annual precipitation is 45.74″.
- Broadcast - Numerous AM and FM radio stations and 7 television stations:
- Cable service is provided by Cox Communications and Verizon.
- The city's local government channel (NNTV) is on Cox cable channel 48 and Verizon channel 19. The Newport News Public Schools' cable channel is on Cox channel 47 and Verizon channel 17.
- Print - The local daily newspaper is the Daily Press. For information on home delivery call 757-247-4800 or visit the Daily Press website.
Newport News, VA
Newport News, VA
Newport News has more than 115 churches and synagogues of diverse denominations. Contact information can be found in the phone book or online.