Street and Sidewalk Food Vendor Permit
It is unlawful to sell, or offer for sale, food and/or beverage on streets or sidewalks in the city without first obtaining a vendor permit. There are currently two (2) districts within the city where vendors are permitted to park on the streets and/or sidewalks (in designated parking spots), the Downtown Street Vendor District and the Oakland Industrial Park Street Vendor District. Permit applications are submitted online. This permit does not apply to food vendors who wish to park on private property. Visit the city website for regulations and requirements regarding food vending on private property.
Applications are accepted and permits are issued throughout the year, however, all permits expire annually and must be renewed by December 1st each year. Permits for designated spaces are issued on a first come, first served basis. Each application submittal must include the following items:
- Fire Marshall Certification Report/Letter
- General liability insurance documentation which must include a separate endorsement naming the city as an additional insured and a document stating the city will be notified thirty (30) days prior to policy cancellation (or ten  days for non-payment).
- A valid Newport News business license.
- A valid Virginia health permit (or a letter from the VA Dept. of Health stating a health permit is not required.)
- Completed and signed Grease Control Device Registration Form.
- Completed and signed Commissary of Fats, Oils and Grease Disposal Letter form.
Incomplete application packets will not be processed until all required items are submitted for review. For more information regarding application requirements and vendor regulations, please refer to Chapter 38, Article X of the Newport News Code of Ordinances. You an also contact the permit office at email@example.com or call 757-933-2311 for information regarding the application process.
Annual submittals can be issued for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner shifts. The annual permit fee is $150.00 per shift and must be paid prior to permit issuance. Each shift is broken down into a set time frame. For more detailed information about the different shifts, please contact the Permit office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 757-933-2311.