Requirements - Firefighter/Medic Recruit
The ideal candidate for a Firefighter/Medic Recruit is committed to public service, detail-oriented, adept at multitasking, and has good written and oral communication skills. We are looking for someone who has the ability to work in a team environment. Not only is this line of work rewarding, but you will also have the security that comes with knowing that what you do will make a difference and will be critical to your community.
To determine if the position of Firefighter/Medic Recruit is a good match for your knowledge, skills, and abilities, please take a moment to review the requirements listed below.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or legally eligible to be employed.
- Must agree to sign a No Tobacco Use agreement, which prevents an individual from using any tobacco products at any time, on or off the job, while employed by the City.
- Fire/EMS related certifications are preferred but are not required.
- Prior military service with an honorable discharge is preferred but not required.
- Must have a point balance of minus five (-5) or better (or equivalent, if a non-Virginia resident) on their Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) record in order to apply, however, if a panel interview is extended, candidate must have a point balance of minus three (-3) or better.
- Must not have been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, convicted of a felony or assigned to any alcohol safety action program or driver alcohol rehabilitation program, hit and run, reckless driving or operating on a suspended or revoked license within the past three (3) years.
- Must not have been convicted of more than one (1) drunk driving or driving under the influence in their lifetime.
- Must not have two (2) or more chargeable accidents during the prior two (2) years.
- Must not have an accumulation of eight (8) or more points attributed to speeding during the previous two (2) years.
- Must not have two (2) or more convictions of reckless driving during the previous seven (7) years.
- Must not have been convicted of driving while license is suspended / revoked during the previous three (3) years.
- Must not be considered uninsurable (i.e., if the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles driving record report indicates that the applicant is an uninsured motorist).
Drug Usage Requirements
- Must not have possessed marijuana within two (2) years of application for this position.
- Must not be a current illegal drug user OR have ever illegally possessed in the past three (3) years any drug or controlled substance which would constitute a felony, to include illegal use of prescription medication.
- Must not have been convicted or found guilty of any crime involving the use, possession, or distribution of illegal drugs except that the person is eligible for affiliation five (5) years after the date of final release if no additional crimes of this type have been committed during that time which is located on the following website.
- Must not possess any conviction under the Office of Emergency Medical Services disqualifiers at the following website.