Campus Fire Safety

The Newport News Fire Department would like to remind students and their parents to add fire safety to the curriculum. Every year, approximately 3,800 university housing fires occur. Be fire safe this year in residence halls and off-campus housing by following these fire safety tips:
  • Make sure that the smoke alarms in your room or apartment are in working order.
  • Keep furniture clear of windows and areas of exit.
  • Know your building and all the ways out. You cannot use an elevator during a fire.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets. Make sure the light bulbs you use in lamps have the correct wattage.
  • If you are allowed to use candles, make sure they are never left unattended.
  • Practice cooking safely by always monitoring cooking and keeping the stove free of grease and flammable materials.
  • If you smoke, make sure you discard smoking materials properly.
  • Always check your room or apartment to make sure everything is turned off before you leave or go to sleep.
  • Contact your resident assistant or your college's safety administrator to make sure you know your evacuation plan. If you have a disability, alert others to the type of assistance you will need if you have to evacuate your building due to an emergency.
Additional information can be found on the United States Fire Administration's website or by calling the Newport News Fire Department's Public Education Office at 757-247-2332.

Other Websites on Campus Fire Safety