The City of Newport News is committed to creating opportunities for the professional growth and development of individuals interested in local government operations. These opportunities are intended to introduce these individuals to public service careers. The purpose of the City’s Internship Program is to create a professional environment by which those interested in public service careers will have an opportunity to gain meaningful work experience in an education environment as they consider service-oriented career options and prepare to enter the workforce.Internships may be available through a variety of City departments and career paths. Currently, we have the following internship opportunities available at this time
Open for application to undergraduate or graduate students in Human Services, Psychology, Sociology, Criminal Justice and Social Work or a related field. Intern will work with the Post-Dispositional Coordinator and assist Detention Staff in facilitating groups, documentation and counselings.
This is an unpaid internship.
Finance Department is seeking an undergraduate intern to fulfill the following possible work assignments to include:
- Assisting with payroll processing and recordkeeping
- Various administrative tasks, to include assisting with the STEP program.
- Requires basic computer skills, customer service skills
Work schedule will be Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
This is a paid internship.Engineering
The Engineering Department is seeking a motivated Undergraduate intern to assist with parking studies, traffic safety studies, traffic volume count program, City Works GIS updates and the citywide streetlight program.
Applicants must be currently pursuing a degree in Engineering or Science, or a related field.
Not to exceed 20 hours per week. Work hours will generally range from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday with some nighttime work required.. Anticipated start date in May 1, 2018.
This is a paid internship expected to last approximately 12 months.
The Public Works department is seeking a graduate or undergraduate intern to assist with Sustainability division initiatives.
- Assists with the overall implementation of the City’s “Roadmap to Sustainability”, a comprehensive sustainability program that balances environmental stewardship, social responsibility and economic prosperity
- Assists with the Sustainability program, NNGreen, social media content for education and community outreach
- Provides support in the city-wide comprehensive energy management program that maximizes cost and efficiencies and optimizes working environment conditions
- Researches sustainability or related resiliency grant funding possibilities and may assist with grant application process.
- The position requires strong written and oral communication skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Applicants must be a motivated self-starter capable of working independently and have the ability to work effectively in a team environment. Internship is open for application to graduate or undergraduate students pursuing degrees in Environmental Science, Public Administration, Business, Planning or a related field.
Anticipated start date July 1, 2018. Work hours will generally range from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.
This is a paid internship
Training and Evaluation
Orientation will be conducted at the beginning of the internship and the intern will be assigned a mentor. The intern and mentor will develop an action plan that meets the individual and department's needs. A performance evaluation will be provided for the intern at the completion of the program.
Individuals interested in available opportunities may complete an online Intern Application.
Some internships may require additional information to be submitted at the time of an interview, such as an official college transcript, a current copy of the candidate's driving record, approval from a student's academic adviser, or other relevant supporting document. In addition, some intern positions will require an acceptable background check.
For additional information on the City's internship program, please contact Human Resources at 757-926-1800 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.