The City of Newport News is committed to creating opportunities for the professional growth and development of individuals interested in local government operations. These opportunities are intended to introduce these individuals to public service careers. The purpose of the City’s Internship Program is to create a professional environment by which those interested in public service careers will have an opportunity to gain meaningful work experience in an education environment as they consider service-oriented career options and prepare to enter the workforce.
Internships may be available through a variety of City departments and career paths. Currently, we have the following internship opportunities available at this time.
The Public Works department is seeking a graduate or undergraduate intern to assist with Sustainability division initiatives. This is a paid internship and responsibilities may include:
- Assists with the overall implementation of the City’s “Roadmap to Sustainability”, a comprehensive sustainability program that balances environmental stewardship, social responsibility and economic prosperity
- Assists with the Sustainability program, NNGreen, social media content for education and community outreach
- Provides support in the city-wide comprehensive energy management program that maximizes cost and efficiencies and optimizes working environment conditions
- Researches sustainability or related resiliency grant funding possibilities and may assist with grant application process.
- The position requires strong written and oral communication skills and competency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Open for application to graduate or undergraduate students pursuing degrees in Environmental Science, Public Administration, Business, Planning or a related field.
Parks Recreation and Tourism-Animal Services
The Department of Parks Recreation and Tourism is seeking a graduate or undergraduate intern for an unpaid internship. Duties will include:
Observing the work of animal control officers with performing the enforcement of animal ordinances and State laws
Observing the work of dispatch operations
Assisting with administrative duties
Open for application to undergraduate and graduate students in Criminal Justice or a related field. Basic knowledge of law enforcement is preferred.
The Department of Libraries & Information Services is seeking a graduate or undergraduate intern for a paid internship. Duties will include:
- Assisting with overall marketing of Library programs and services
- Drafting press and media releases
- Designing and preparing multimedia graphics, brochures and other visual aids
- Assisting with planning and implementation of events and program
- Photographing, uploading, and editing pictures from events and programs
Open for application to undergraduate and graduate students in Communications, Marketing, Advertising, Public relations or a related field. Basic knowledge and experience in marketing is preferred.
Training and Evaluation
Orientation will be conducted at the beginning of the internship and the intern will be assigned a mentor. The intern and mentor will develop an action plan that meets the individual and department's needs. A performance evaluation will be provided for the intern at the completion of the program.
Individuals interested in available opportunities may complete an online Intern Application.
Some internships may require additional information to be submitted at the time of an interview, such as an official college transcript, a current copy of the candidate's driving record, approval from a student's academic adviser, or other relevant supporting document. In addition, some intern positions will require an acceptable background check.
For additional information on the City's internship program, please contact Human Resources at 757-926-1800 or e-mail email@example.com.