4th of July Stars in the Sky
The City of Newport News Parks, Recreation & Tourism Department will present the “4th of July Stars in the Sky” on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at Victory Landing Park (located at the end of 23rd Street along the James River). The event begins at 7:00 p.m. with free children’s rides (giant slides, moon bounces, obstacle courses), free face painting, the Tomcats Dixieland Band (performing near the Newport News Victory Arch), and strolling entertainment. Food vendors will be on site selling a variety of items including funnel cakes, hot dogs, hamburgers, and frozen treats. Entertainment will be provided by The United States Air Force Heritage of America Band “The Blue Aces” from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. A spectacular fireworks show by the internationally award winning fireworks company Pyrotecnico, will be presented by Newport News Shipbuilding, a Division of Huntington-Ingalls Industries, and will light up the sky over the James River at 9:30 p.m.
The Blue Aces are six dynamic Airman-musicians who perform a diverse mix of today’s hits, throwback classics and a little bit of everything in between. The band has a true Americana sound, with a lead singer, guitar, keyboards, bass, drums and audio/video engineer.
IMPORTANT EVENT INFORMATION
From I-64 East & West
- Take the I-664 Exit
- Take Exit 6 to 26th Street
- Turn left onto Huntington Avenue
- Turn right onto 23rd Street
- Victory Landing Park is at the end of 23rd Street along the James River
Free parking at the Newport News City Hall parking lot and non-restricted lots in the Downtown area. Handicapped parking is located in the lot at 23rd Street & West Avenue and designated spaces throughout the Downtown area.
If weather conditions (rain, wind) impact the event, updates will be available at:
- After hours phone recording 757-926-1400
- No alcohol allowed in event area; coolers/picnic baskets are permitted
- Bring blankets or lawn chairs for seating
- Food and soft drinks available for purchase
- No pets permitted in the event area
- No bicycles, skateboards or radios permitted in the event area
- For more information, call Newport News Parks, Recreation & Tourism at: 757-926-1400 or visit www.nnparks.com.
7:00 p.m. Event opens
7:00 - 9:30 p.m. The United States Air Force Heritage of America Band “The Blue Aces”
9:30 p.m. Fireworks
10:00 p.m. Event closes