For more information on these historical sites,call (757) 247-8523.
Battle of Dam #1
13564 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News Park
This April 16, 1862 engagement was Major General George B. McClellan’s only major attempt to break through the Confederate defenses commanded by Major General John B. Magruder. Five miles of earthworks from this important Civil War battle still remain.
Battle of Lee’s Mill
180 River's Ridge Circle
These earthen fortifications were the scene of the April 5, 1862 engagement that prompted McClellan to besiege the Confederate’s Warwick-Yorktown Defense Line during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign.
Congress & Cumberland Overlook
Scene of the March 8, 1862 sinking of the U.S.S. Cumberland and U.S.S. Congress by the ironclad C.S.S. Virginia (Merrimack)
Scene of the famous March 9, 1862 Battle of the Ironclads between the C.S.S. Virginia and the U.S.S. Monitor.
Skiffe's Creek Redoubt
Warwick Court House
The 1810 courthouse served as the headquarters for Union Brigadier General Erasmus D. Keyes’ IV Corps during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Professor Thaddeus Lowe’s gas balloon, Constitution, provided reconnaissance of Confederate troop movements. The complex also contains the recently restored 1884 Warwick Court House.
The earthworks located adjacent to this 1820 tide mill were the western anchor of Confederate Major General John B. Magruder’s first line of defense during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign.