Dog Park- Fido Field at Riverview Farm Park
Note: Your dog must be registered to use this Dog Park (see below for registration information)
In April 2006, the City's first Dog Park, named Fido Field, was opened in Riverview Farm Park. With over 1 acre of open area, Fido Field is a great place for you and your dog to socialize and exercise. Our goal is to provide a safe and well-maintained park for you and your dog to enjoy together.
Location: Riverview Farm Park, 105 City Farm Road, Newport News, VA (Behind the Riverview Gymnastics Center).
Hours of Operation: Open daily, sunrise to sunset year-round unless otherwise posted.
Directions: From Warwick Boulevard, turn onto Boxley Boulevard (at intersection of Warwick and Oyster Point). Follow Boxley to Menchville Road, turn left onto Menchville Road. Look for Riverview Farm Park Sign and turn left onto Riverview Parkway. Follow to the very end, looking for signs for the Gymnastics Center and Dog Park.
The Dog Park amenities:
- 1/8 acre area for small dogs 20 pounds and less
- 1 acre area for large dogs
- water fountain for dogs and handlers
- wheelchair accessible area
- covered benches
Before entering the dog park, YOU MUST REGISTER YOUR DOG:
See here for the Fido Field Registration Form.
To register your dog, you must bring the following records:
- Tags and records indicating all vaccinations are current including Rabies, Distemper, Parvovirus and Bordetella are required along with dog license registration with the City/County of residence.
Bring these records to the following registration sites:
• Newport News Parks, Recreation & Tourism Office, 700 Town Center Drive, Suite 320, Newport News VA, 23606 (757) 926- 1400, Weekdays 8am-5pm
• Riverview Gymnastics Center, 1025 City Farm Road, Newport News, VA (757) 886-2729, Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-6pm
• Riverview Farm Park Concession, 105 City Farm Road, Newport News, VA (757)886-2743 (May – September)
• Newport News Park Campground, 13560 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA, (757) 888-3333, daily 7am-7pm
Annual registration is available for a fee of $10 per year for the first dog ($5 for additional dogs residing at the same residence). Registration is for the calendar year purchased. Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Fido Field Rules:
- Park is open sunrise to sunset daily.
- Off-leash in dog park; on-leash everywhere else.
- Dog must be a member.
- All dogs shall wear visible licenses and dog park I.D.
- All dogs must be legally licensed and vaccinated (rabies, distemper, parvovirus and bordetella).
- No more than two dogs per owner/custodian in the area at one time.
- A basic flat buckle collar or harness is required within the park (No choke, prong, pinch or spike collars).
- Puppies under four months old are not permitted.
- Children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the off-leash area. Children ages 13-16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Spayed or neutered animals recommended.
- Dogs with known history of dangerous behavior are prohibited.
- No dogs in heat.
- Immediately leash and remove a problem dog (aggression, mounting, etc.)
- Excessive barking is prohibited. Dogs barking excessively must be removed.
- Owner/custodian must remain inside, with leash, within view and voice control of their dogs at all times.
- Owner/custodian is responsible and liable for their dog's behavior.
- Park users and dog owners/handlers assume all risks.
- All owners/custodians are responsible for immediately cleaning up and properly disposing of dog excrement in proper receptacles (provided).§ Owner/custodian must fill any hole created by their dogs.
- City Ordinance prohibits smoking within 100 yards of any recreational facility.
- No food allowed within the fenced area.
- Dogs are not permitted inside the Gymnastics Center.
Special activities are scheduled throughout the year. Fido Fun Day takes place in April with exhibits, demonstrations and contests. Winter brings a Frosty Frolic with chilly treats. To add to the fun, Yappy Hours are scheduled throughout the year so you can get to know other dogs & owners. Fido field tag owners who have provided e-mail addresses will be e-mailed special activity information as it is scheduled.
Email Discussion Group:
Dog owners who register their dogs at Fido Field are welcome to join an unofficial Yahoo group for email discussions of comments and activities. This Yahoo email group is not maintained by the City of Newport News and is therefore not responsible for any of its content. To join the Yahoo group, go to the URL: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/NNDogParks/ and click on "Join this Group". Because several messages may transfer in the same day, we suggest you "Edit your Membership" to receive just the Daily Digest. You may "unsubscribe" at any time. For more information, contact the Yahoo group moderator at p_Burgener@yahoo.com .
For more information about Fido Field:
If you would like more information regarding the Dog Park or would like to be a park volunteer, please call the Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism at (757) 886-7912 or e-mail email@example.com.