You are here: Home Parks and Recreation Animal Services
Document Actions

Animal Services

Animals Services Image

Main Office: 9287 Warwick Blvd Phone: (757) 595-PETS (7387)
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday
Emergency Service Hours: 9:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m., everyday and holidays

The purpose of the Newport News Animal Services Division (ASD) is to support responsible pet ownership, humane treatment of animals, equipping pets with identification at all times, compliance with statutes and ordinances for the control and protection of animals, spaying and neutering, and control of pet overpopulation. Our qualified and compassionate animal service personnel render services and assistance to citizens upon request regarding domestic animals and, on occasion, wildlife. Our field officers work to protect the public as well as the animals of the City of Newport News .


Animal Services Vehicle

The Newport News Animal Services Division Provides the Following Services:
(Click on the following links for more information)

After Hours Emergency Service

Animal Cruelty Investigations

Animal Sheltering / Strays & Owner Surrenders

Barking Dogs / “Pooper-Scooper” Law Enforcement

Community Education Programs

Dangerous and Vicious Dog Investigations

Dead Animal Removal

Disaster Preparedness Information

Feral Cat Abatement

Leash Law Enforcement

Lost/Found Animals

Pet Licensing

Rabies Control

Wildlife Assistance

After-Hours Emergency Service

The Animal Services Division (ASD) provides after-hours response in order to protect the health and safety of animals and the public. On-call Animal Control Officers (ACO) respond only to emergencies such as injured animals, animal bites, vicious dogs, and severe animal cruelty situations which immediately threaten an animals life. The on-call ACO can be reached by calling the ASD at (757)-595-7387 and following the voice prompts, or by calling 911.

Animal Cruelty Investigations

Animal Services Cruelty Investigations

The Animal Services Division (ASD) is dedicated to the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the City by enforcing State and Local Animal Welfare Laws and Ordinances. The ASD investigates complaints of animal abuse, dog fighting, unlawful killing, and abandonment. The ASD also follows up on complaints of animals kept without adequate food, water and shelter and animals kept on short or entangled tethers.

Citizens observing animal cruelty or neglect situations should contact the ASD directly at (757) 595-7387. In order to ensure a complaint is properly investigated, citizens should attempt to obtain the exact address of the location where the incident is taking place. If the address is not visible, cross streets or the addresses on either side of the location should be obtained.

Animal Sheltering / Strays & Owner Surrenders

The Animal Services Division (ASD) maintains a contract with the Peninsula Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) where animals are housed pending redemption by owners, adoption by citizens, or other disposition as provided by statute, ordinance and regulation. The SPCA shelter is located at 523 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard . For more information about the SPCA and for information about the shelter's hours of operation, call 595-1399 or visit .

The ASD picks up stray animals running at large and impounds them with the SPCA. The SPCA houses them until the owners are found, they are adopted, or if unadoptable, are euthanized. Citizens may also turn in stray animals directly to the SPCA. Information concerning reclaiming lost pets can be found at the SPCA's website.

Unwanted animals may be owner-surrendered to the SPCA. The ASD does not normally pick up owner-surrendered animals. Citizens are requested to bring their pet directly to the SPCA in order to complete an Animal Surrender Form which provides detailed information about the pet and increases the pet's chances of adoption. Detailed information on incoming pets and strays can be found at .

Barking Dogs / “Pooper-Scooper” Law Enforcement

Local ordinance requires pet owners to clean up after their animals and keep their animals from disturbing the peace by frequent or long continued noises. Since these violations are difficult for Animal Control Officers to directly observe, the Animal Services Division (ASD) does not regularly issue summonses for these violations. However, the ASD will send a letter advising the animal owner of the complaint and relevant laws. The letter also includes tips on controlling barking dogs. To have a letter mailed, call the ASD with the exact address of the animal owner and a brief description of the violation.

If the problem is not resolved by the letter, citizens may enforce the law by contacting the Magistrate's Office to have a summons written for which the pet owner may receive a fine. The Magistrate's Office is located a 224 26 th Street . More information about the Magistrate's Office can be obtained by calling 757-926-8475 or on the City's website.

Community Education Programs

Animal Services Education Programs

The Animal Services Division (ASD) is dedicated to promoting responsible pet ownership through education. The ASD maintains supplies of education materials and handouts on various topics including, but not limited to, animal health, animal behavior, training, spay/neuter services, disaster preparation and other animal agencies. The ASD staff makes themselves available to educational and civic organizations for presentations about their mission, services, animal laws, responsible pet care, and the citizen's role in promoting animal welfare.

Dangerous and Vicious Dog Investigations

The Animal Services Division (ASD) conducts investigations of dangerous and vicious dogs. A dog can be classified as dangerous when it has bitten, attacked, or inflicted injury on a person or a companion animal, or killed a companion animal that is a dog or cat. A dog can be classified as vicious when it kills or inflicts serious injury to a person, including multiple bites, serious disfigurement, serious impairment of health, or serious impairment of a body function. A dog can not be found dangerous or vicious based solely upon breed, if no serious physical injury has occurred, if the attack occurs on the property of the biting dog's owner, or for other good cause as determined by the court.

Citizens that believe a dog is dangerous or vicious should contact the ASD. An animal control officer or law-enforcement officer must apply to the Magistrate requesting a hearing. Victims and witnesses may be required to submit written testimony, photographs of the injury or statements from physicians or veterinarians. Victims and witnesses may also be required to appear in court.

If a court determines a dog is dangerous, the owner must obtain a dangerous dog license, confine the dog indoors or in a proper enclosure, properly post the property on which the dog is housed, spay or neuter the dog, tattoo or microchip the dog, purchase $100,000.00 liability insurance, and register the dog annually with the City and the State. If a dog is determined to be vicious, the dog must be humanely euthanized.

Dead Animal Removal

The Animal Services Division (ASD) picks up dead animals on the roadways and City right-of-ways. If a dead animal is located on private property, citizens may bury the animal or place it in their trash container for pick up. Nuisance wildlife companies may also assist in removing dead animals from private property including crawl spaces, attics, and walls. The VA Department of Transportation picks up dead animals on the Interstates, including on and off-ramps. They can be reached at (800) 367-7623. It is unlawful to deposit a dead animal on public property or allow it to remain unburied on private property.


Disaster Preparedness Information

The Animal Services Division (ASD) is dedicated to educating the citizens of Newport News on how to protect their pets in the event of a disaster. Information and educational brochures are distributed during regular contacts with pet owners in the field, during special events, and through public services announcements. The ASD staff frequently meets with emergency planners, animal control agencies, animal shelters and national organizations to develop emergency plans.

To protect your family and pets from the effects of a disaster, you must have a plan. The best way to protect your pets is to evacuate them too. Leaving pets behind, even if you try to create a safe place for them, may result in them being injured, lost or worse.

1. Plan Ahead to Take your Pets

Make arrangements with family or friends outside your immediate area to take in your pets. Have a list of pet-friendly hotels and boarding facilities along your evacuation route. A list of pet-friendly hotels can be found at .

2. Plan Ahead to Bring What You Need

Bring a leash or carrier, food and water for three days, and any necessary medications. Also bring your pet's photo and rabies vaccination certificate.

3. Have a Backup Plan

Develop a buddy system with neighbors or relatives to make sure that someone is available to care for or evacuate your pets if you are unable to do so.

4. Identify Your Pets

Make sure your pets are wearing up-to-date licenses and identification whether hurricane season or not. It's a good idea to include the phone number of a friend or relative outside your immediate area. Microchipping is also recommended.

Feral Cat Abatement

The Animal Services Division (ASD) provides assistance with feral cat removal and offers humane traps to Newport News citizens. Feeding free-roaming cats is prohibited by City Code without a Feral Cat Colony Permit. For information on trap rentals or colony permits, contact the ASD at 595-7387.

Leash Law Enforcement

Dog owners are required to keep their dog under their immediate control any time the dog is taken off their property (Sec. 6-25). In order for an ACO to issue a summons, the ACO must directly observe a violation. For violations that occur outside of an officer's presence, ASD may send a letter to the animal owner's residence, or send an officer to speak with the resident. Citizens may also enforce the law by contacting the Magistrate's Office to have a summons written for which the pet owner may receive a fine. For information, call the Magistrate's Office at 926-8475.

Lost/Found Animals

The Animal Services Division maintains a list of lost and found pets and records of every animal impounded by its officers. However, all animals are sheltered at the Peninsula Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) located at 523 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard or call 595-1399. It is recommended that citizens who have lost a pet make regular visits to the SPCA

Pet Licensing

All dogs and cats four months old and older are required by State and Local laws to wear a rabies tag and an animal license tag on their collar. City license tags are good for one calendar year and go on sale November 1 and must be purchased by January 31. A license must also be purchased during the year if an animal becomes 4 months old, or an owner comes into possession of an animal between January 1 and November 1. Licenses are $5 for spayed and neutered animals, and $10 for unaltered animals.

Licenses can be purchased at:

• Treasurer's Office - C ity Hall Annex, 2400 Washington Ave (downtown)

• Treasurer's Office - Denbigh Office Annex, 12912 Jefferson Ave (at Richneck Rd )

• Animal Services – 9287 Warwick Blvd (in Huntington Park )

• You can also print an Animal License Request Form and mail it to the Treasurer's Office. The License Request Form can be found on the Treasurer's webpage.

You must present a current rabies certificate from a veterinarian in order to apply for a license. You may not register more than four domesticated animals (dogs and/or cats) per residential unit without first receiving permission from the Department of Codes Compliance at 926-8861. For more information about animal licenses, call the Treasurer's Office at 926-8643 or visit the Treasurer's webpage.

Rabies Control

Citizens can report animal bites to the Animal Services Division or directly to the Department of Public Health. The Department of Public Health investigates animal bites and confines, and observes cats and dogs that have bitten or scratched someone to look for signs of rabies. Wild animals who have bitten or scratched someone are laboratory tested for rabies. For more information, call 594-7340.

Wildlife Assistance

Animal Control Officers respond primarily to complaints of sick or injured wildlife. The Animals Services Division (ASD) provides information on dealing with nuisance wildlife and maintains a list of private wildlife companies who can assist with nuisance wildlife issues. For information on permits to hold wild animals in captivity, call the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries at (804) 367-1000 or visit . Orphaned and injured wildlife are provided care through the Wildlife Rehabilitation Program administered by the Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism. For information, call Newport News Park at 886-7912.

Newport News Parks Division offers a Dog Park- Fido Field at Riverview Farm Park.
Connect with Us
Translate this Site
Contact Information


Main Office:

Fountain Plaza Two
700 Town Center Dr., Suite 320
Newport News, VA 23606
(757) 926-1400
Fax (757) 926-1460


Tabloid Cover

Weather Updates/Closings


E-mail the Department

City Banner Permit Policy/Application

Citizen's Guide to Services

The Newport News Citizen’s Guide to Services has been developed to provide you with a convenient resource to access city services and programs.

Learn More


Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: