Genealogy at the Library
The Virginiana Room specializes in Virginia history and genealogy.
Martha Woodroof Hiden Memorial Virginiana Room
The Martha Woodroof Hiden Memorial Virginiana Room contains over 4300 volumes specializing in Virginia genealogy and history. We have books, manuscripts, maps, periodicals, photographs, and microfilm on the history of Newport News and Virginia. We also have a subscription to Ancestry.com, which is available (in the Virginiana Room only) to any customer with a Newport News Public Library card.
About the Virginiana Room
- "How-to" books and genealogical directories, family histories and private papers, county histories and vestry records, ships' passenger lists, name indexes and bibliographies, published military records, abstracts of wills, deeds, and marriage record
- Hugh Watson's "Climbing the Family Tree" column from the Daily Press 1957-1988, with name index
- FamilySearch: Ancestral File, IGI, Military Index, Social Security Death Index, Family History Library Catalog.
- Internet access for genealogy research ONLY, with access to Ancestry.com
- Old Dominion Land Company Maps, as well as other local maps
- Sanborn Maps for 1907, 1913 and 1947 (corrected to 1952)
- Photographs of people, events and buildings of late 19th and early 20th century Newport News
- Large collection of photographs of Hilton Village construction, 1918-1919 (can be seen online at the Library of Virginia's Digital Library Program)
- Bea Kopp Photograph Collection
- Postcards of early Newport News and period holiday cards
- An extensive clip file from newspapers, pamphlets, brochures, magazines, etc. The files are organized into two general areas: the Peninsula (Newport News, Hampton and York County) and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
LOCAL, STATE, GENERAL SOURCES
- Old Dominion Land Company Manuscript Collection (includes maps, deeds and business transactions from the land company that founded Newport News)
- City directories of Newport News and Hampton from 1896-current; other city directories also available
- Local phone books 1958-current
- County and City annual reports
- Warwick County Manager's Office files
- Consolidation records (City of Warwick and City of Newport News - 1958)
- State House and Senate records
- Local history book collection
- General histories of seventeenth century Virginia
- Indexes to Virginia genealogies and history, including Swem's Virginia Historical Index and all sources indexed in it.
- Buxton Hospital Volumes I-V (includes photographs of early staff and graduates)
- Peninsula Portraits - a collection of articles on Peninsula women and their contributions to the community, late 1950's.
- Programs and Pictures of the Cultural Entertainment Life of Newport News, VA 1888-1946
- Warwick County Properties - Descriptions and photos of county properties, April 1945.
- Yearbooks for several local schools, primarily Ferguson, Menchville, and Newport News High Schools
- Genealogical and historical magazines and newsletters, including those indexed in Swem's Index
- Census records: Virginia 1790-1930; Soundex for Virginia, 1880 and 1900 only.
- Census and soundex for other states may be ordered at a cost to the patron.
- Newspapers: Daily Press 1898-Current, Times Herald 1902, 1908-1991, and Virginia Gazette 1736-1780
- Birth, marriage & death registers for Warwick County and the City of Newport News, 1853-1896.
- Old Dominion Land Company Maps 1772-1946
- Boyd's Marriage Index
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Company maps for Newport News, Hampton, and various other cities in Virginia
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in the 32nd Virginia Infantry
- William Minor merchant’s account book and farm journal, 1858-1893.