Adoption - Department of Social Services
Adoption placements are made for children who have been permanently and legally separated from their birth parents. Adoption is a legal process which gives new parent(s) the same rights and obligations as biological parents.
When the child is in the custody of the Newport News Department of Social Services and parental rights are terminated, the agency can place the child in an adoptive home. A home study report will have to be completed. The social worker assigned to the child will assist the new parents through the legal process.
- The AREVA website, www.adoptUSkids.org, provides a photo listing and description of children in Virginia waiting to be adopted.
- A national photo listing of children available for adoption can be found at www.adoptUSkids.org
- For additional information, frequently asked questions, steps to adoption, accessing adoption records, and a direct link to the State of Virginia go to: www.dss.virginia.gov/family/ap/index.html.
Additional information found on this website include:
- Stepparent adoptions
- Parental Placement adoptions
- Adult adoptions / Accessing adoption records
- Rights of adoptees over age 18
- Rights of adoptive parents
- Rights of birth parents
- Rights of birth siblings
- Rights of other birth family members
- Support groups and national adoption information