Written Testing Process
Newport News Fire Department Recruitment - Information about the Written Entrance Exam
In order for your application to be considered for Firefighter-Medic Recruit, and for you to become a candidate in the current selection process, you will be asked to take a reading test followed by an entrance exam and CPS questionaire.
Of course, the Newport News Fire Department (NNFD) recognizes that involvement in a selection process is a two-way procedure. Just as the Fire Department uses the selection process to identify individuals best suited to join our team, each candidate, in turn, evaluates NNFD as a place to establish or further a Fire Service career.
Therefore, Fire Training Bureau personnel will present a brief overview prior to administering the exams. This presentation is designed to more fully inform applicants of the true nature of the Firefighter-Medic job, as well as the remaining phases of the selection process. Information regarding Recruit training (EMT-I class and Fire Academy) and Firefighter/Medic work schedules, benefits, and duties will also be presented. A brief question & answer session will conclude the overview presentation.
To be considered active in the selection process, it is imperative that candidates:
- Complete the Candidate Background Information packet
- Are 100% complete and truthful in their answers
- Include current DMV record and academic transcripts / diplomas
- Sign the documents in the correct locations
- Deliver the packet to the Newport News Fire Training Bureau at 17300 Warwick Blvd on your scheduled test date or by September 27, 2012 by 5:00 p.m.