You are here: Home City Manager Citizen's Guide Services and Programs- D
Document Actions

Services and Programs- D

A listing of services and programs under "D" within the Citizen's Guide to Services.

To view the sections of the Citizen's Guide to Services, please choose from the links on the left.


ACCESSIBILITY • The Department of Codes Compliance enforces state laws on accessibility requirements for the disabled. These provisions apply to all nonresidential buildings and structures (including multi-unit apartment buildings), their exterior sites and facilities, parking, transportation, etc. The department also assists in compliance of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). For more information, visit the Department of Codes Compliance located on the 3rd floor of City Hall or call 926-8861. The Department of Engineering is responsible for designing and inspecting the construction of accommodations for disabled persons in public buildings and in public rights-of-way. For more information, visit the Department of Engineering located on the 8th floor of City Hall, or call 926-8611.

ACCESSIBLE ON-STREET PARKING • The Department of Engineering provides information related to accessible on-street parking requirements. For information, visit the Department of Engineering, located on the 8th floor of City Hall, or call 926-8611.

COMPANION SERVICES/ HOUSEHOLD SERVICES • The Department of Human Services provides companion services and adult day care workers for many elderly and disabled adults to assist with household chores and errands. Eligibility is based on state and local guidelines for income, functional ability and other resources. For more information, call 926-6329 or visit

CONVERSION OF DOCUMENTS • Disabled citizens, visually-handicapped or persons needing to communicate with them may convert non-handwritten documents with no specialized fonts such as bills, legal documents or photos into large print, braille or have the document translated verbally through the Arkenstone Open Book System, a personal computer-based system. For more information, call the Main Street Library and Outreach Services Office at 591-4858.

GARBAGE COLLECTION FOR DISABLED • Residents who are temporarily or permanently disabled may be eligible to receive backyard garbage and recycling collection if no other able-bodied person resides in the same house. To receive an application for backyard collection, call 269-2700 or visit

HANDICAP-RELATED SIGNS • Citizens may request handicap parking space signs and deaf/blind child area warning signs on public streets from the Department of Engineering. For requirements and application information, visit the Department located on the 8th floor of City Hall, online at or call 926-8611.

— HANDITOYS • Handitoys is a service provided by the Newport News Public Library System’s Outreach Services Division. It is a lending library of toys and games that have been specially adapted for use by children and adults with disabilities. For information, visit Main Street Library Outreach Services located at 110 Main Street or call 591-4858.

— THERAPEUTIC RECREATION PROGRAMS • The Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism offers a variety of therapeutic recreation programs for persons with disabilities, including before and after school programs and summer camps. For more information call 926-1444 or visit

— LECTURE SERIES • Newport News Parks, Recreation & Tourism’s Therapeutic Recreation Program along with PADDA (People with Developmental Disabilities Association), Smart-One, Inc., and Newport News Public Schools’ Parent Educator and Resource Center (PERC) would like to extend an invitation to participate in a variety of lectures geared towards parents, caregivers, and educators of children with special needs. These lectures are held at Midtown Community Center from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. For more information call 926-1400 or visit

VIRGINIA RELAY • Deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired residents of Virginia are eligible for free or low-cost telephone equipment through the Technology Assistance Program, a program offered by the Virginia Department for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing (VDDHH). A deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired person may call the Virginia Relay Center (VRC) at 1-800-828-1120 with a TDD and tell the communications assistant the phone number of the person you want to call. A hearing person may call the VRC at 1-800-828-1140 to obtain assistance in contacting a TDD user. Other VDDHH services include interpreter services program, outreach services within the community, legislative liaisons, and a lending library of periodicals and videotapes regarding sign language and other related topics. For information, call 1-800-552-7917 (V/TDD). Emergency Calls: For emergency calls, call the police at 911 and wait until your call is answered before pressing the space bar or any key several times to indicate you are calling from a TDD. For State Police emergencies, call 1-800-553-3144.

City Hall Offices – Human Resources 926-1841
Emergency Information Center (during disasters) 269-2912
Libraries (V/TDD)
    Ready Reference 247-8875
    Book Renewal 247-8505
    Pearl Bailey Library 247-8677
    Bookmobile Office 591-4858
    Grissom Library 369-3190
    Main Street Library 591-4858
    West Avenue Library 247-8505
    Public Law Library 926-8678
Police Services, Non-Emergency 247-2500
Therapeutic Recreation Center 926-1471


— HOME EQUITY CONVERSION LOAN PROGRAM • Residents age 62 and over may receive counseling and referrals to lenders for home equity monies to pay for living expenses and home repairs. For information, call the Office of Human Affairs at 245-3271.

— LOANS/GRANTS FOR HOUSING REPAIRS • Special grants are available to the elderly for emergency repairs and to the disabled for accessibility improvements through the Newport News Redevelopment & Housing Authority. For information, call 928-2620 or visit

— REAL ESTATE TAX RELIEF • This program eliminates or lowers annual real estate taxes for elderly or disabled homeowners. Eligibility is based on age, disability, income, and net worth of the homeowner and spouse. For more information, contact the Commissioner of the Revenue at (757) 926-3535 or visit

— WEATHERIZATION • Citizens who own their own home and are in one of the following categories may qualify to receive weatherization for their homes:

- Persons in the low to moderate income range
- Persons with a disability
- Recipients of Social Security Disability

Services include sidewall insulation, attic insulation, furnace and chimney tests for carbon monoxide. Weatherization does not include windows, doors and roofs. This program is administered for Newport News by the Housing Department of the Williamsburg/James City County Community Action Agency Office. For information, call 229-9389.

MEALS-ON-WHEELS • The Peninsula Agency on Aging, Inc. provides hot, nutritious meals to homebound persons age 60 and above through its Meals-on-Wheels program. Meals are delivered in sealed trays by volunteer drivers. For information, visit the Peninsula Agency on Aging, Inc. located at 739 Thimble Shoals Blvd. Suite 1006, online at or call 873-0541.

NURSING HOME SCREENING PROGRAM • Public health nurses coordinate the nursing home pre-admission screening activities for eligible Medicaid recipients to determine the individual’s needs and the community services available to meet these needs. The nursing home pre-admission screening committee is composed of the public health nurses, social workers and a Department of Public Health physician. Persons not eligible for nursing home care are referred to other community resources, when appropriate. For information, call 594-7311.

PENINSULA AGENCY ON AGING, INC. • The Peninsula Agency on Aging, a nonprofit organization, provides services for senior citizens based on individual needs. Services such as home delivered meals, group dining, Geriatric Care Coordination, transportation, in-home adult care, respite (occasional routine or emergency relief to family caregivers), and information and referrals are part of the services provided by the agency. For information, call 873-0541.

— THE DEPARTMENT OF PARKS, RECREATION & TOURISM’S MATURE ADULT PROGRAM promotes the development and implementation of quality activities for mature adults. The mission of the Mature Adult Program is to enrich the environment of the mature adult community with programs that will heighten the participant’s quality of life. The program offers a variety of activities including trips (both local and long distance/overnight trips), health forums, special events, dances, holiday programs, annual golf tournament, instruction classes (free and fee based), exercise programs, resource/outreach services, as well as the Peninsula Agency on Aging’s Dining Club at one of the sites. For a complete listing of programs, call 926-1446 or visit

Denbigh/Lee Hall Senior Center
15460 Warwick Boulevard
Doris Miller Community Center
Mature Adult Program
2814 Wickham Avenue
Hilton Senior Center
605 Hilton Boulevard
Brittingham-Midtown Community Center
Mature Adult Program,
570 McLawhorne Drive
North Newport News Community Center
605 South Avenue
Washington Senior Center
5012 Huntington Avenue


— OFFICE OF HUMAN AFFAIRS SENIOR CENTER • This center, located at 392 Maple Avenue, provides an atmosphere to encourage senior participation in recreational, educational, nutritional and cultural activities. Hot lunches are served two days a week to seniors 60 and over or with a disability. For more information, call 244-4111.

RETIRED & SENIOR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM (RSVP) • The RSVP is a program for persons over the age of 55 who wish to volunteer in the community. Seniors who volunteer through RSVP are offered an extensive benefit package which includes insurance, mileage reimbursement, van transportation and community recognition for their service. For information call 595-9037.

SAFETY FOR OUR SENIORS (SOS) • This program is for senior citizens who live in Newport News and need to be checked on weekly. Deputies will call every weekday (Monday-Friday) morning and visit their home weekly. For more information, contact the Newport News Sheriff ’s Office at 926-8747.

— HAMPTON ROADS TRANSIT provides a specialized service for disabled persons. For more information call 455-8010 or visit

— PENINSULA AGENCY ON AGING, INC. • The Peninsula Agency on Aging, Inc., located at 739 Thimble Shoals Boulevard, offers services through the sharing of resources between agencies to assist senior citizens (60 and over) in transportation to dining centers, special programs and shopping trips. For information, call 873-0541 or visit

TRIAD/S.A.L.T. • This program provides the opportunity for exchange of information between law enforcement and senior citizens focusing on reducing unwarranted fear of crime and improving the quality of life for seniors. The S.A.L.T. Council decides what service or programs TRIAD will offer, recruits volunteers, and oversees the results. For more information, contact the Newport News Sheriff ’s Office at 926-8747.

Connect with Us
Translate this Site
Contact Information

Office of the City Manager
2400 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607

(757) 926-8411
(757) 926-3503 - fax


Citizen's Guide to Services

The Newport News Citizen’s Guide to Services has been developed to provide you with a convenient resource to access city services and programs.

Learn More


Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: